Decisions, we make them every day.
But it is not every day that we make the really big decisions – we are talking about BIG, as in the biggest decisions of our lives.
What these decisions are can and does vary from person to person, but there are lots of common ones. As a matter of fact, a new study has found the thirty decisions that most people consider to be the biggest and most important decisions of their lives.
Read on to find out more.
Important life decisions
Here is the list of the top 30 big life decisions, according to the study:
1. Having children
2. Getting married
3. Moving house
4. Learning to drive
6. Buying a property with a partner
8. Choosing to save or spend money
9. Getting a divorce
10. Quitting a job
11. Moving cities
12. Moving abroad
13. Getting a pet
14. Going travelling
15. Standing up for yourself
16. Quitting smoking
17. Investing money
18. Removing toxic friends
19. Changing career later in life
20. Whether to go to university or not
21. Choosing a career sector
23. Staying in touch with friends
24. Choice of the degree to study
25. Putting an elderly relative in a care home
26. Deciding between renting or buying
27. A-level choices
28. GCSE choices
29. Buying a new car
30. Turning down/accepting a promotion
Along with thirty of the biggest life decisions, the study also discovered a few other things, namely:
- Having children is considered to be the biggest life decision of them all by most people
- 28 is the age we make the most important decisions
- Making big decisions often make people feel ‘anxious’, ‘terrified’ and ‘old’
- 37.35% of the participants admitted to regretting decisions they have made
- Nearly 40% said that making big life decisions gets easier as we get older
- Nearly 50% said they prefer making the big decisions themselves, without involving anyone else
- Over 25% said they seek advice and help from family and friends with their important decisions
- 14 days is how long it takes (on average) to decide whether to end a relationship or not
- 13 days is how long it takes (on average) to decide on a new car
Life is full of decisions – we make them every single day. Most of them, thankfully, don’t require a lot of thought. But the big ones, like the ones in the list above, do.
Like the study found, a lot of us regret our big decisions, so it is important to think them through.
On that note, getting some feedback from family and friends doesn’t harm. At the end of the day, the decision will be yours to make, but the feedback can give you some valuable insights and perspective.
How about you – what do you think of this list of the top 30 big life decisions? Which of these have you already made? Has this list missed any of the major life decisions?
Share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments.
About the study: The study surveyed 2000 UK adults, was commissioned by life insurance provider Beagle Street and was carried out by OnePoll between 25/03/19 – 27/03/19.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?