Exercising our willpower is not easy all the time – especially when we are tired or hungry or agitated or… you get the idea. It is a really important trait, especially for personal growth and health and basically everything in our lives, but often we find it difficult to exercise it.
As it turns out, there are, in fact, quite a few things that most people find challenging to not do (even though it would be better to not do them).
Top Willpower Fails
According to the latest research (a poll of 2,000 British adults commissioned by PizzaExpress), here are the top fifteen things most people find difficult to exercise their willpower against:
- Eating sweet snacks instead of fruits
- Staying up late to read, rather than going to sleep at a sensible time, due to being really engrossed in the book they are reading
- Staying up late to watch ‘just one more episode’ of a favorite show or boxset
- Picking up a favorite food ‘to go’ rather than cooking at home
- Having an extra drink on a night out instead of going home early
- Giving in to the temptation of buying lunch at work despite having packed lunch from home because it was more appealing
- Spending too much time in the sun because you want to make the most of it (and get a good tan)
- Having an extra coffee even though we don’t need the caffeine
- Having an extra slice of pizza, just because
- Having a cheeky peek at an ex on social media, to see what they’re up to now
- Going on a night out because of FOMO (fear of missing out)
- Obsessively checking if WhatsApp messages have been read or replied to
- Booking a holiday even if it’s more expensive than budgeted
- Cancelling a previously booked exercise class
- Cancelling plans to go to the gym, to go to the pub instead
Related article: The ultimate guide to willpower
How about you – which of the above willpower fails are you guilty of?
What else do you really struggle to say no to?
Share your thoughts and tips in the comments.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!