Men have been suffering in silence for too long, and it is a big problem. Actually, it’s a massive problem, big is understating it.
Why men’s mental health is a cause for concern
Being a man comes with a certain number of preconceived notions about what it means to be a “man”, beliefs like:
- men don’t show emotions
- men don’t cry
- asking for help is a sign of weakness
- and so on.
This has created a massive problem, a culture of silent suffering. A lot of men suffer from mental health challenges, but few talk about them, and even that rarely, because it does not conform with their beliefs of what it means to be a man.
A lot of men suffer from mental health challenges, but few talk about them, and even that rarely.
Men’s mental health challenges are not as uncommon as you might think
Here are some stats to give you some perspective about men’s mental health issues, and why it is such a cause for concern:
- According to the World Health Organisation, in 2013, 615 million people suffered from depression or anxiety worldwide.
- In 2016, 4% of the world’s population was found to struggle with depression.
- According to the The American Psychological Association, nine percent of men experience depression on a daily basis. That’s more than 6 million men, just in the USA! In countries like the UK the proportion will be much higher, because men are less open about their emotions.
- Over three million men in the USA grapple with anxiety on a daily basis.
- In the UK, just over three out of four suicides (76%) are by men.
- Suicide is the biggest cause of death for men under 35
- More than 90 percent of the 3.5 million people diagnosed as schizophrenic by the age of 30 are men (USA).
Men’s mental health challenges – You are not alone
Depression is one of the main challenges a lot of men face, but very very few ever admit or talk about it. Most men will either deny, and/or use being tired as their reasoning for how they feel or act. Often they won’t even admit to themselves that they have problems.
Recently a lot of famous men have been opening up about their challenges with mental health. Just goes to show that this is not an isolated occurrence.
Proof you are not alone.
The road to a better you
It is time to do something about men’s mental health issues.
We all have good days and bad, and it is ok to not feel ok. But if you keep bottling it up, you will not be able to get better. In fact, without proper attention things very likely will get worse.
If you have faced, or are facing, mental health challenges the only way to a better life, and better you, is to get help. Talking to a therapist or trained professional does NOT make you any less of a man. Even Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson admitted to having struggles with mental health. Seriously, how much more “macho” can you get! If a manly man like him can do it, you can too. So stop being weighed down with these archaic notions of what it means to be a man.
Get help if you are struggling – there is no point in suffering in silence. That is what makes you weak.
Here are five of our other articles that can help:
- How To Deal With Negative Thoughts: The Definitive Guide
- Are you a prisoner of your past?
- Are you proactive, or reactive?
- How to survive the death of a relationship
- How the worst moments of our lives make us who we are
Talking to someone (ideally a professional) is by far the most effective way to deal with your mental health challenges. Here are two local organisations you can get help from right now. If you are worried about others finding out, don’t, as you can talk to them anonymously.
You need to take care of your mental health – you owe it to everyone in your life, and you owe it to yourself.
Get help if you are struggling – there is no point in suffering in silence
What do you think about the state of men’s mental health today? Share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments.
- World Health Organisation
- American Psychological Association
- Our World in Data
- Office for National Statistics
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?