How much calorie do you burn when you are not doing anything? Or even sleeping? Or for that matter how much calorie does walking burn? And running (or jogging)? What about the calorie burn rate of HIIT, Yoga, Pilates, and Weight training? Or standing (Vs sitting), and sleeping? Find out about all these in today’s guide.
Keep reading to learn more.
What are calories?
A calorie is the amount of energy in any food item we eat or drink. It’s the basic measurement of energy for humans. We all have a minimum amount of calories we need.
Think about your body like a car – in the same way that cars need petrol (or electricity) to run, the human body needs food. That’s our fuel. And how much energy we get from the food we eat is measured in calories.
Why is calorie burn rate important?
Calories are essential for our survival. However, when we eat more calories than we need to function well, our bodies save the excess as fat. The fat in and of itself is not bad as we need some reserve energy (in the same way cars need a bit of reserve fuel as backup) but the calorie becomes something to watch out for when the storage starts exceeding the healthy limits, which can then lead to health issues like obesity and a whole host of other health problems (like high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, etc).
This is where knowing how much calorie you burn through different activities can be helpful, as that way you can plan to burn off any excess calories, and maintain a strong healthy body.
- You Need to Cut These 2 Foods From Your Diet. Here’s Why
- 15 Foods That Cause Bloating (And Why)
- COVID Self Care – 10 Essential Self Care Tips You Should Know
How many calories do you naturally burn in a day?
Before we get onto the details of how much calorie different activities can burn, let’s look into our normal, natural calorie burn rate. Here’s the thing, even when you don’t do anything your body still burns calories, which is the main reason why we need food.
How much calorie each person burns can vary based on a whole host of things like age, weight, height, and even how hot or cold it is outside (in case you are curious, we burn more calorie when it is cold, as our bodies have to work extra hard to maintain the core temperature).
That said, the average amount of calorie a person naturally burns in a day is around:
- 1,600 to 2,400 for women, and
- 2,000 to 3,000 calories per day for men.
That gives you a basic idea of how much calorie you need, on average. But for more specific details, use a calorie burn rate calculator (see below) to find out how much calorie you burn naturally (i.e. how much you need).
Next, let’s look at the average calorie burn rate for nine of the most common activities. This will give you a general idea about how much calorie different activities burn.
How much calorie can you burn per hour?
Note – the average calorie burn rate below is based on a person weighing 125 lb (56.7 kg), per hour.
- How much calorie does walking burn – 240 calories an hour, based on a moderate walking speed of 3.5 mph. If you walk faster, you burn more calories (e.g. 270 calories/hour for 4 mph).
- How much calorie does running burn – 480 calories an hour (at a speed of 5 mph). As with walking, running faster also burns more calories.
- How much calorie does swimming burn – 360 calories an hour for freestyle. Backstroke swimming burns more calories, 480 calories per hour. Other styles can burn even more: breaststroke burns around 600 calories per hour, butterfly around 660 calories per hour, and crawl also burns around 660 calories per hour. How much effort you put into your swimming also makes a difference and vigorous freestyle swimming burns nearly twice the amount of calories than just normal pace.
- How much calorie does cycling burn – 420 calories per hour, at moderate speed. Doing it with more intensity can burn around 315 calories per hour.
- How much calorie does yoga burn – 240 calories per hour.
- How much calorie does bodyweight exercise burn – 270 calories per hour for moderate intensity, and around 480 calories per hour for vigorous intensity.
- How much calorie does weight training burn – 355 calories per hour, based on common bodyweight exercises like pushups and squats.
Continue reading to find out about the calorie burn rate of standing vs sitting, as well as the amount of calories you can burn while sleeping!
- SuperLife: The 5 Simple Fixes That Will Make You Healthy, Fit, and Eternally Awesome
- How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
- The Blue Zones: 9 Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who’ve Lived the Longest
Do you burn calories while you sleep?
You have learned so far about the calorie burn rate for some of the most common activities, including walking and running. But how about sleep – do you burn any calories while you are off to your dream land?
Turn out yes, you do.
On average, a person burns around 38 calories per hour during their sleep.
This is of course a ballpark figure. To find out how much calorie you potentially burn during sleep, use this sleep calorie burn Calculator: Calculator.
Yet more reason for you to get more sleep rather than less.
How much calorie does standing burn (vs sitting)?
We sit a lot these days, and that’s not a very good thing. One of the best ways to demonstrate that is to give you some hard facts in the form of the difference between the calorie burn rate of the two.
So how much calorie can you burn while standing?
On average 100 to 200 calories an hour.
Contrast that to sitting, and the amount of calorie you burn while is around 60 to 30 calories an hour.
The difference is massive – standing burns a lot more calories than sitting, a whopping 66.67percent more calories!
Find out more specifics about how much calorie you, personally, can burn if you stand (rather than sit) using this standing calories burned per hour calculator: Calculator.
If you have not started working standing up for at least some part of your work day, now is a good time. Check out this article from the BBC to learn more about the benefits of standing vs sitting while working.
- Working From Home: Making the New Normal Work for You
- Rework: Change The Way You Work Forever
- Self-Made Success: Ivy League Shark Tank Entrepreneur Reveals 48 Secret Strategies To Live Happier, Healthier, And Wealthier
The simple equation for losing weight
If you want to lose some weight, here’s the most basic and simple equation you need to understand: when you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose weight.
On the other hand, if you eat more calories than you burn, then you gain weight.
Calories burned calculator
Want to find out how much calorie you personally can burn through different activities?
Then use this calories burned calculator: Calculator
- Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World
- Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
- Practicing Mindfulness: 75 Essential Meditations to Reduce Stress, Improve Mental Health, and Find Peace in the Everyday
Do you burn calories while you are sleeping, or doing nothing? What about while you are walking, or standing, or doing some sort of exercise? As you have learned, yes you burn calories for everything you do, and even when you are doing nothing. The only difference is the calorie burn rate. When you are more active you burn more calories, whereas you burn a lot less when you aren’t doing much. So if your goal is to get fitter or lose some weight, then you know what you need to do.
On that note, if you want to find out the average calorie burn rate for more activities, check out this article by Harvard Health.
Even simple activities like walking or running can help you burn calories and keep you fit. It doesn’t really matter what sort of physical activity you enjoy, because they can all help you improve your health and help you live a good life.
Look after yourself and have a great weekend!
Like it? Share it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?