Can your pets warn you about carbon monoxide poisoning?
According to a recent study, commissioned by npower, the answer is yes.
The study, involving a poll of 2000 pet owners, discovered that a third of the participants had been warned by their pets about Carbon Monoxide while one in ten has had their or someone else’s life saved by their pet.
Here are some of the other findings of the study:
- 40 per cent of the participants admitted that they would not be able to identify the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
- Over 33 per cent had received warning from their pets.
- 10 per cent of the participants had either been directly saved by their pet, or knows someone who has.
- 10 per cent of the participants admitted that they weren’t even aware of the dangers.
- Over 33 per cent of the participants admitted to not owning a CO detector.
- 20 per cent said they just did not think they needed a CO detector.
- 27 per cent said they want to get one, but haven’t gotten round to buying one yet.
- 10 per cent of the participants thinka CO detectors are too expensive.
Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer, as it is invisible to the eye and you can’t smell it. So unless there is some way to detect it you might not know until it is too late!
Often Carbon Monoxide affects animals first, and their sudden erratic and/or unusual behaviour can be signs that something is amiss.
So how can you tell if there is an issue with Carbon Monoxide? Here are some of the signs to watch out for:
- Loss of consciousness
- Chest pain
- Stomach pain
- Erratic behaviour
- Visual problems
If you don’t have a Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home, having pets can indeed be life saving. But err on the side of caution and get a CO alarm.
Prevention, after all, is better than cure.
You can learn more about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning here.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!