Baths are good, right? For hundreds of years baths have been used for health and hygiene, so there must be something to them.
But can baths make you happier?
Well, according to latest research, baths can actually help improve your mood.
Details of the Study
The study was run by the University of Freiburg in Germany. More details can be found here.
- Hypothesis = Hot baths might push our circadian rhythm into balance and improve mood
- Number of participants = 45
- Average age = 48
- Common factor = They all suffered from depression (moderate-to-severe depression).
- Measure = The Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D) was used to score the participant depression level/severity. A score of 19 or higher counts as “severe” depression; the study’s average score was 21.7.
- Method = Soak in a hot bath (40c) for up to 30 minutes, then wrap up for another 20 minutes, staying warm with blankets and hot water bottle.
So what was the outcome of the study? Here’s a summary:
- After 8 weeks, the participants – all of whom suffer from depression – experienced improvements.
- On average, their symptoms were reduced by about 6 points on the depression scale.
- The benefits from the baths didn’t require the full 8 weeks to appear – they started showing results within 2 weeks.
- Nearly all the participants carried on with regular bath sessions.
How you can use baths for better mood
So now that you know about this research, how can you put it to use in your own life?
Start off by scheduling 2 baths a week, ideally lasting around 30 mins each time.
Try this for at least 2 weeks, then see how you feel.
2 bath sessions x 30 minutes each x 2 weeks
Bonus tip to supercharge the benefits from having baths
Here’s a tip for you to supercharge the benefits you get from your bath sessions – use it as an opportunity to meditate! Put on some relaxing music or guided meditation, and then just give in to the quiet.
This is a great bio hack, especially If you are like me and find baths a bit boring.
The other cool thing about this hybrid approach is that this way you can at least get two half hour meditation sessions a week – which will not only give you the mood boost, but also help you build your mental strength (through meditation), which will further help with your mental health.
Talk about a two for one 🙂
What are your thoughts on baths?
Do you have any tips to share?
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!