Learn about some fascinating and fun facts about your brain in today’s guide.
Your brain is one of the most important parts of your body. Your brain also happens to be one of the most complex parts of your body – not surprising when you factor in the fact that this organ is the machine that runs nearly everything in your body, and is in charge or trillions (yes, not millions, and not even billions, but TRILLIONS) of connections that run through your whole body to help you do, well, everything.
So let’s find out a bit more about the fascinating, and incredible organ that is the brain.
Keep reading to learn more.
Fun facts about your brain
- The biggest myth about the brain? You must have come across this widespread belief about how we only use 10% of our brains. Even movies have been made about this. But as it turns out, that’s not a fact at all, but might be the biggest myth about the brain! Here is the truth – we do, in fact, use 100% of your brain.
- Your reasoning skills don’t fully develop until you are 25. You might think that your brain grows uniformly, but it does not. The brain starts developing from the back and then gradually moves to the front, reaching full formation around the time you are 25. That means that your ability for reasoning, which is controlled by the frontal lobes of the brain, develop and strengthen as you grow older, reaching its full development at the age of 25.
- The brain is light as a feather! Well, almost. Compared to nearly every other organ in your body, the brain is possibly the lightest, weighing in at a measly 3 pounds. To give you a better idea, that’s about as much as the weight of a half-gallon bottle of milk. Yeah, not heavy, but incredibly powerful nonetheless. Just how powerful? You will get a pretty good idea in the facts below, so keep reading.
- 1 billion in a grain! Here’s a fun fact about your brain that will amaze you – scientists have found that even a tiny piece of the brain the size of a grain contains a huge number of neurons and synapses – 100,000 neurons and an incredible billion synapses!
- It can power a lightbulb! As if the incredible number of neurons and synapses weren’t enough to impress, here’s another incredible fact about the brain – our brain has the capacity to generate enough power to run a lightbulb (which is around 23 watts). And it does put that power to great use making sure we function well. Side note: Doubt this needs to be said but please do not try lighting a lightbulb with your brain!
- The real information superhighway. Here’s yet another fascinating fact about the brain – signals from the brain travel at an incredible speed of 286 miles an hour! That’s faster than most supercars!
- The brain is full of fat! If you’re like most people, you worry about having excess fat in different part of your body. As it turns out, your brain might be the fattiest organ in your whole body! In fact, a whopping 60% of the brain is made of fat! But unlike excess fat around the stomach region, the fat in the brain is not bad – it is crucial for its functioning.
- The brain’s storage capacity is unlimited! You know how you keep running out of space on your smartphone or your laptop? Well, turns out that’s not really an issue with the supercomputer between your ears. Research has found that our brain’s capacity to store information is virtually unlimited! This is thanks to the trillions of neural connections that our brain creates over the years. But with age these connections can grow weak, which is one of the reasons why looking after your brain is important (especially for avoiding neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s).
- 1,000 trillion! Here’s another incredible fact about the brain that demonstrates just how amazing our brain is – research has found that our brain contains around 86 billion neurons, all of which can form connections with each other that add up to an amazing 1 quadrillion connections! That’s 1,000 trillion connections! No wonder supercomputers are still struggling to compete with the human brain.
- The truth about brain freeze. Last on our list of fascinating and fun facts about the brain is one about something that nearly all of us have experienced at some point in our lives – yes, you guessed it right, it’s brain freeze. So why does the brain “freeze”? Well, this happens when we suddenly take in really cold food or drink. The cold hits our brain receptors (called meninges), and results in contraction and dilation of our arteries which then results in a rapid headache. Here’s the scientific term (and additional resource) for brain freeze in case you are intrigued to learn more: sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.
The brain is an amazing organ, as you have just learned. Aside from its ability to light bulbs and cause being feather light (!), it is also vital for our own internal growth. To learn more about that, check out our guide on personal development.
As for today’s guide, what did you think of these fun facts about your brain? Which fact was most interesting for you?
Do you have any fun facts about brain to share?
Share your thoughts and suggestions in the comments section below.
Enjoy your Friday!
One tiny request
Before you go, a tiny request – if you found this guide useful &/or enjoyable, please share it with others. That is the best way for us to reach others and make a positive impact.
So, share. Pay it forward!10 fascinating and fun facts about your brain #trivia #generalknowledge #quiz #funfriday Click To Tweet
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?